Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Bidziil's Story



My name is Bidziil. I live in a teepee in Arizona with my mom, my dad, and my sister. Our tribe is the Hopi tribe. We eat staple foods like corn. We also hunt buffalo and use every part of its body. The buffalo’s fur is for our coat and we use the stomach part to make a ball to play sports and games.

When we went buffalo hunting we rode on horses to chase the buffalos. My mom and sister stayed home to do the cooking and cleaning while the boys went hunting- this is our tradition. Some of the Hopi Pueblo people built a giant house that people weave, cook, make pottery, and bake bread in. Everyone has a job.

Sometimes my mom plants crops. When she brings the corn home, it tastes so good. She said her mother made the same recipe. My mom promised to pass down the recipe to my sister so she knows how to make it tasty. It’s been the best family recipe. Sometimes she makes corn for everybody in the tribe for our meetings. Our chief, Cha’akmongwi, loves the corn my mom makes. One time, he asked her where she got it from. She said it was a family recipe. He smiled and said keep it a secret.

2 comments: